Mindful Allyship: Supporting the LGBTQIA+ Community
March 13 (Saturday) at 9:00 am (GMT-06:00)
Midwest Alliance for Mindfulness 11100 Ash Street Suite 103 Leawood, KS 66211
An important part of mindful activism is educating ourselves so that the outcome of our efforts might be in alignment with our highest intentions. This day-long workshop is designed for those who identify as straight and cisgender and would like to increase our sensitivity and knowledge so we can be better allies to the LGBTQIA+ community. Participants will be guided through a compassionate exploration of beliefs and values, review the latest research on sexuality and gender identity, review the harmful history of heteronormativity in the US, and learn strategies for taking mindful action to create a more inclusive and equitable society. Although this program is suitable for the general public, up to 6 CEs are available for KS & MO licensed mental health professionals. Online attendance is the default so please send us an email at least 24 hours in advance if you prefer to attend in person - space is limited. Participants must have a signed waiver on file with MAM.
Teachers: Deah Robinson, Angela Caruso-Yahne, CCISM, CTSS & Tracy Ochester, PsyD, RYT-200
- Adopt a mindful and self-compassionate lens in recognizing and challenging our own privilege and biases around sexuality and gender, identifying the ways in which upbringing, culture and religion have shaped our beliefs and behavior.
- Understand the science of sexual and gender identity development.
- Review the history of cis- and heteronormativity in America and how this has shaped our laws, institutions, and systems to disadvantage and harm LGBTQIA+ people.
- Learn and practice mindful approaches to LGBTQIA+ allyship.
There is a two part process to reserving your seat in this class:
1. Register using this form, and
2. Purchase the appropriate pass by clicking the link below:
No refunds are given on or after the day of the class. In the case of under-enrollment, the course will be cancelled and you will receive a full refund of the registration fee. Passes expire within one year of purchase.